On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 6:46 PM Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat., 21 Mar. 2020, 11:19 am Nathaniel Smith, <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 11:54 AM Dennis Sweeney
>> <sweeney.dennis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This is a proposal to add two new methods, ``cutprefix`` and
>> > ``cutsuffix``, to the APIs of Python's various string objects.
>>
>> The names should use "start" and "end" instead of "prefix" and
>> "suffix", to reduce the jargon factor and for consistency with
>> startswith/endswith.
>>

> This would also be more consistent with startswith() & endswith(). (For
> folks querying this: the relevant domain here is "str builtin method
> names", and we already use startswith/endswith there, not
> hasprefix/hassuffix. The most challenging relevant audience for new str
> builtin method *names* is also 10 year olds learning to program in school,
> not adults reading the documentation)

To my language sense, hasprefix/hassuffix are horrible compared to
startswith/endswith. If you were to talk about this kind of condition using
English instead of Python, you wouldn't say "if x has prefix y", you'd say
"if x starts with y". (I doubt any programming language uses hasPrefix or
has_prefix for this, making it a strawman.)

*But*, what would you say if you wanted to express the idea or removing
something from the start or end? It's pretty verbose to say "remove y from
the end of x", and it's not easy to translate that into a method name.
x.removefromend(y)? Blech! And x.removeend(y) has the double 'e', which
confuses the reader.

The thing is that it's hard to translate "starts" (a verb) into a noun --
the "start" of something is its very beginning (i.e., in Python, position
zero), while a "prefix" is a noun that specifically describes an initial
substring (and I'm glad we don't have to use *that* :-).

> I think the concern about stripstart() & stripend() working with
> substrings, while strip/lstrip/rstrip work with character sets, is valid,
> but I also share the concern about introducing "cut" as yet another verb to
> learn in the already wide string API.

It's not great, and I actually think that "stripprefix" and "stripsuffix"
are reasonable. (I found that in Go, everything we call "strip" is called
"Trim", and there are "TrimPrefix" and "TrimSuffix" functions that
correspond to the PEP 616 functions.)

> The example where the new function was used instead of a questionable use
> of replace gave me an idea, though: what if the new functions were
> "replacestart()" and "replaceend()"?
>
> * uses "start" and "with" for consistency with the existing checks
> * substring based, like the "replace" method
> * can be combined with an extension of "replace()" to also accept a tuple
> of old values to match and replace to allow for consistency with checking
> for multiple prefixes or suffixes.
>
> We'd expect the most common case to be the empty string, but I think the
> meaning of the following is clear, and consistent with the current practice
> of using replace() to delete text from anywhere within the string:
>
>     s = s.replacestart('context.' , '')

This feels like a hypergeneralization. In 99.9% of use cases we just need
to remove the prefix or suffix. If you want to replace the suffix with
something else, you can probably use string concatenation. (In the one use
case I can think of, changing "foo.c" into "foo.o", it would make sense
that plain "foo" ended up becoming "foo.o", so s.stripsuffix(".c") + ".o"
actually works better there.

> This approach would also very cleanly handle the last example from the PEP:
>
>     s = s.replaceend(('Mixin', 'Tests', 'Test'), '')

Maybe the proposed functions can optionally take a tuple of
prefixes/suffixes, like startswith/endswith do?

> The doubled 'e' in 'replaceend' isn't ideal, but if we went this way, I
> think keeping consistency with other str method names would be preferable
> to adding an underscore to the name.

Agreed on the second part, I just really don't like the 'ee'.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*