Hi,

A pattern that I used multiple times is to compute an object attribute
only once and cache the result into the object. Dummy example:
---
class X:
    def __init__(self, name):
        self.name = name
        self._cached_upper = None

    def _get(self):
        if self._cached_upper is None:
            print("compute once")
            self._cached_upper = self.name.upper()
        return self._cached_upper
    upper = property(_get)

obj = X("victor")
print(obj.upper)
print(obj.upper)   # use cached value
---

It would be interesting to be able to replace obj.upper property with
an attribute (to reduce the performance overhead of calling _get()
method), but "obj.upper = value" raises an error since the property
prevents to set the attribute.

I understood that the proposed @called_once would store the cached
value into the function namespace.

Victor