On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:45 AM Steve Dower <steve.do...@python.org> wrote:

> For those who haven't looked in a while, the uuid module uses ctypes to
> look up libuuid for uuid_generate_time_safe() and uuid_generate_time()
> functions.
>
> I've run into scenarios where I need to remove this from our own builds,
> but it seems like it's probably unnecessary anyway? It's certainly a
> security risk, though in most cases the _uuid module should provide them
> anyway.
>
> I'm proposing to remove the ctypes fallbacks:
> https://bugs.python.org/issue40501
>
> If anyone knows that they are reliant on not having libuuid at compile
> time, but being able to load it later via ctypes, it would be great if
> you could drop by the issue and explain the scenario.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

That seems like a good idea.  The ctypes code has been in there since the
module was added in 2006.  The _uuid extension module only landed in 2017
for Python 3.7.

I can't imagine a normal scenario where the _uuid extension module would
not exist unless we're talking maybe special needs for PyPy.  (I doubt they
want ctypes either these days)

-gps