On 2020-06-16 20:28, Mark Shannon wrote:

On 16/06/2020 1:24 pm, Nick Coghlan wrote:
Multiprocessing serialisation overheads are abysmal. With enough OS support you can attempt to mitigate that via shared memory mechanisms (which Davin added to the standard library), but it's impossible to get the overhead of doing that as low as actually using the address space of one OS process.

What does "multiprocessing serialisation" even mean? I assume you mean the overhead of serializing objects for communication between processes.

The cost of serializing an object has absolutely nothing to do with which process the interpreter is running in.

Separate interpreters within a single process will still need to serialize objects for communication.

The overhead of passing data through shared memory is the same for threads and processes. It's just memory.

Can we please stick to facts and not throw around terms like "abysmal" with no data whatsoever to back it up.

I'd like to get back to the facts. Let me quote the original mail from this thread: