Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Eric Nieuwland wrote:
>
>> I have some doubt about the keyword: ‘match' seems to be at odds with
>> 'for', 'while', 'with', 'if' as it is more of an action.
>> It's more like 'try' but that statement has a completely different
>> structure.
>
> Well, 'try' is also an action. :-) Many people have tried to come up with a
> different keyword here, but nothing has been found that comes even close to
> the simplicity of match. Plus, several other languages (Scala, Rust) use it
> too (which is further evidence that it's a natural fit).

It may also be evidence for not being able to come up with a more accurate
keyword.

Reading through the PEP once more I noticed I was understanding

        match X:
                case Y:

as

        when X:
                matches Y:

which also to me seems to reflect the close relation to an if-elif-elif…
construction.

This would almost naturally imply the possibility of:

        when X:
                matches Y:
        else:

And maybe also an additional operator:

        if X matches Y:

>> Not a native speaker I don't have a reasonable alternative, though.
>
> Me neither, but I speak it quite fluently now, and 'match' really feels
> like it fits well here.

Trying ;-)