On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:38 PM Luciano Ramalho <luci...@ramalho.org> wrote:

> Thank you Guido, Brandt Bucher, Tobias Kohn, Ivan Levkivskyi and Talin
> for this fun and very useful new feature.
>
> I do enjoy pattern matching a lot in Elixir—my favorite language these
> days, after Python.
>
> I don't want to start a discussion, but I just want to say that as an
> instructor I fear this core language addition may make the language
> less approachable to the non-IT professionals, researchers etc. who
> have saved Python from the decline that we can observe happening in
> Ruby—a language of similar age, with similar strengths and weaknesses,
> but never widely adopted outside of the IT profession.
>
> After I wrap up Fluent Python 2e (which is aimed at professional
> developers) I hope I can find the time to tackle the challenge of
> creating introductory Python content that manages to explain pattern
> matching and other recent developments in a way that is accessible to
> all.

Hold on a while.  This feature does not exist.  This PEP has not been
accepted.  Don't count your chickens.py before they hatch.

The last P in PEP stands for Proposal for a reason.  Rejection is a
perfectly valid option.  As is a significant reworking of the proposal so
that it doesn't turn into a nightmare.  This one needs a lot of work at a
minimum.  As proposed, it is extremely non-approachable and non-trivial.

-gps