On 25/06/2020 23:20, Emily Bowman wrote:
On my personal "potentially inscrutable uses of a tool" this still rates
well below list comprehensions, so there's that; the biggest pet peeve I

Clearly YMMV. To me list comprehensions like "[f(x) for x in l]" were obviously related to the "f(x) ∀ x ∊ l" familiar from my maths degree.

have anymore is understanding at a glance what is and isn't an assignment.

Yes, this does seem to be a lot of people's problem. My point is we get to that position one step at a time, so maybe we should be examining the first steps in that chain and re-evaluating whether they were in fact the right ones, given where we end up. I accept the PEP's general point that name patterns will be common, but I don't think something like "case int as x:" is hard to write and it brings in the idea that we are talking about types right at the start.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd