On Fri., 26 Jun. 2020, 7:02 am Chris Jerdonek, <chris.jerdo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 5:15 PM Yonatan Zunger via Python-Dev <
> python-dev@python.org> wrote:
>
>> That said, the meta-question still applies: Are there things which are
>> generally intended *not* to be interruptible by signals, and if so, is
>> there some consistent way of indicating this?
>>

> Yonatan, Nathaniel Smith wrote an interesting post a few years ago that
> includes some background about signal handling:
> https://vorpus.org/blog/control-c-handling-in-python-and-trio/

Related to that is this CPython bug report:
https://bugs.python.org/issue29988

The short version is that Greg Smith and I tried to close some of the
remaining signal safety holes a couple of years ago, and I made it as far
as building better tools for provoking the bugs (this is the origin of
per-opcode tracing hooks in CPython), but we never came up with an actual
solution.

So the workaround remains to run anything that absolutely cannot be
interrupted by poorly timed signals in a subthread, and dedicate the main
thread to signal handling.

Cheers,
Nick.