On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 7:28 PM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last time I looked at PyEval_AcquireLock(), it was used in the wild,
> but I don't recall exactly where, sorry :-( Before removing the
> functions, I suggest to first notify impacted projects of the incoming
> removal, and maybe even propose a fix.

Thank you for suggestion.

I had grepped PyEval_AcquireLock in top4000 packages and I confirmed
it is not used.
But I had not checked PyEval_ReleaseLock because I thought it is used
only pair with PyEval_AcquireLock.

Actually, PyEval_ReleaseLock is used in three packages:

pydevd-pycharm-202.5103.19/pydevd_attach_to_process/windows/attach.cpp
330:        DEFINE_PROC(releaseLock, PyEval_Lock*, "PyEval_ReleaseLock", -160);

jep-3.9.0/src/main/c/Jep/pyembed.c
836:    PyEval_ReleaseLock();

ptvsd-4.3.2.zip/ptvsd-4.3.2/src/ptvsd/_vendored/pydevd/pydevd_attach_to_process/windows/attach.cpp
330:        DEFINE_PROC(releaseLock, PyEval_Lock*, "PyEval_ReleaseLock", -160);

I will keep PyEval_ReleaseLock.

> Getting rid of PyEval_AcquireLock() and PyEval_ReleaseLock() in JEP
> doesn't seem trivial. This project uses subinterpreters and uses/used
> daemon threads.

I think they use only PyEval_ReleaseLock().  Do they use
PyEval_AcquireLock() too?

Regards,
--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>