Subject: [pypi-announce] upgrade to pip 20.2 -- plus changes coming in 20.3
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 11:24:58 -0400
From: Sumana Harihareswara <s...@changeset.nyc>
To: pypi-annou...@python.org

On behalf of the Python Packaging Authority, I am pleased to announce the release of pip 20.2. Please upgrade for speed improvements, bug fixes, and better logging. You can install it by running python -m pip install --upgrade pip.

We make major releases each quarter, so this is the first new release since 20.1 in April.

NOTICE: This release includes the beta of the next-generation dependency resolver. It is significantly stricter and more consistent when it receives incompatible instructions, and reduces support for certain kinds of constraints files, so some workarounds and workflows may break. Please test it with the `--use-feature=2020-resolver` flag. Please see our guide on how to test and migrate, and how to report issues <https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/user_guide/#changes-to-the-pip-dependency-resolver-in-20-2-2020>.

The new dependency resolver is *off by default* because it is *not yet
ready for everyday use*.

For release highlights and thank-yous, please see <https://blog.python.org/2020/07/upgrade-pip-20-2-changes-20-3.html> . The full changelog is at <https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/news/>.

Future:

We plan to make pip's next quarterly release, 20.3, in October 2020. We are preparing to change the default dependency resolution behavior and make the new resolver the default in pip 20.3.