On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 3:46 AM Riccardo Polignieri via Python-Dev
<python-dev@python.org> wrote:

> Hi Inada,
>
> > Note that the discussion not only in the b.p.o thread, but in this
> > mailing list too.
> > Please read this long thread.
>
> I have, but I don't know if I want to step in...
> I do have, indeed, opinions (and some expertise) on the matter, but
> I've never really thought about it in depth...

Then, you know the deletion is after long discussion, not only short
discussion in b.p.o.

> In any case, I think that any changes to the tutorial should not be done
> in the same way as the rest of the documentation, but ideally only
> through an editorial, centralized, process.

Agree. Tutorial should be written in special care.
When editing library or language references, editors can focus one
section and technical correctness.
On the other hand, when editing tutorials, editors should read the
whole chapter and understand story. And keep in mind that new Python
users may learn Python by reading tutorial always.

> In the meantime, I would insist that any changes should be made
> very carefully,

Agree.

> especially when we delete something.

Can't agree. Same care is required for adding something too.

> > For the record, when I removed the __cause__ from the tutorial, I
> > believe I was careful and conservative enough.
> > I think from exc syntax is not new Python users should know.
> > Documenting implicit chaining is enough for 99% use cases, and from
> > None covers 0.99% of the rest.
>
> As I said, I have no strong opinion on this particular case.
> Rather, I am slightly concerned about the method in itself - that a deletion
> may occur following only a brief exchange on the bug tracker.

Again, I did it following not only a brief exchange on the b.p.o., but
also long discussion in Python-dev.

> For what it's worth, however, I would have kept the passing mention on
> __cause__, and would have added a passing mention on __context__ too.
> It's not what I would write today in a tutorial for the "modern" beginner,
> but it's certainly more *consistent* with what the tutorial is right now.

I don't think so. I agree that the tutorial is "syntax showcase" for
now. Many minor or expert syntaxes are described.
But the tutorial isn't a "special attribute showcase".
It doesn't cover all special attributes and describe how Python
interpreter use the special attributes under the ground.
So removing __cause__ made the tutorial more consistent right now.

> > So I considered removing explicit chaining (e.g. from exc) from the
> > section too.
>
> See... this is what really concerns me. At some point someone may decide
> out of the blue to remove an entire important concept from the tutorial
> because "it's just noise for a beginner".

You are ignoring me!
I said I considered removing "explicit" chaining (e.g. `from exc`).
But I said "implicit chaining is enough for 99% use cases".
Definitely, I never tried to "remove an entire important concept from
the tutorial."

> But very often the documentation is very terse and the tutorial is the only
> place
> where some concepts are presented in a discursive way ... even if not
> "beginner friendly".

You know, exception chaining is described well in other place so it was removed.
I promise that I don't remove something in the tutorial without
checking it is described well in other places.

Regards,

--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>