Bengt Richter wrote:
> If str becomes unicode for PY 3000, and we then have bytes as out
> coding-agnostic
> byte data, then I think bytes should have the str translation method, with a
> tweak
> that I would hope could also be done to str now.
>
> BTW, str.translate will presumably become unicode.translate, so
> perhaps unicode.translate should grow a compatible deletechars parameter.

I'd much rather like to see .translate() method deprecated.

Writing a code for the task is much more effective - the
builtin charmap codec will do all the mapping for you,
if you have a need to go from bytes to Unicode and vice-
versa.

We could also have a bytemap codec for doing bytes to bytes
conversions.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 17 2006)