Neal Norwitz wrote:
> [Moving to python-dev]
>
> I don't have a strong opinion.  Any one else have an opinion about
> removing --with-wctype-functions from configure?

FWIW, I announced this plan in Dec 2004:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-December/050193.html

I didn't get any replies back then, so assumed that no-one
would object, but forgot to add this to the PEP 11.

The reason I'd like to get this removed early rather than
later is that some Linux distros happen to use the config
switch causing the Python Unicode implementation on those
distros to behave inconsistent with regular Python
builds.

After all we've put a lot of effort into making sure that
the Unicode implementation does work independently of
the platform, even on platforms that don't have Unicode
support at all.

Another candidate for removal is the --disable-unicode
switch.

We should probably add a deprecation warning for that in
Py 2.5 and then remove the hundreds of
#idef Py_USING_UNICODE
from the source code in time for Py 2.6.

> --
>
> On 2/16/06, M.-A. Lemburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> neal.norwitz wrote:
>>> Author: neal.norwitz
>>> Date: Thu Feb 16 06:25:37 2006
>>> New Revision: 42396
>>>
>>> Modified:
>>>    peps/trunk/pep-0011.txt
>>> Log:
>>> MAL says this option should go away in bug report 874534:
>>>
>>>     The reason for the removal is that the option causes
>>>     semantical problems and makes Unicode work in non-standard
>>>     ways on platforms that use locale-aware extensions to the
>>>     wc-type functions.
>>>
>>> Since it wasn't previously announced, we can keep the option until 2.6
>>> unless someone feels strong enough to rip it out.
>> I've been wanting to rip this out for some time now, but
>> you're right: I forgot to add this to PEP 11, so let's
>> wait for another release.
>>
>> OTOH, this normally only affects system builders, so perhaps
>> we could do this a little faster, e.g. add a warning in the
>> first alpha and then rip it out with one of the last betas ?!
>>
>>> Modified: peps/trunk/pep-0011.txt
>>>
>>> +    Name:             Systems using --with-wctype-functions
>>> +    Unsupported in:   Python 2.6
>>> +    Code removed in:  Python 2.6

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 17 2006)