On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 8:54 AM Larry Hastings <la...@hastings.org> wrote:

> On 1/18/21 3:42 PM, Inada Naoki wrote:
>
> Many type hinting use cases don't need type objects in runtime.
> So I think PEP 563 is better for type hinting user experience.
>
> You mean, in situations where the user doesn't want to import the types,
> because of heavyweight imports or circular imports?  I didn't think those
> were very common.

Personally, I dislike any runtime overhead caused by type hints. That
is one reason I don't use type hinting much for now.
I don't want to import modules used only in type hints. I don't want
to import even "typing".

I planned to use type hinting after I can drop Python 3.6 support and
use `from __future__ import annotations`.
And I love lightweight function annotation implementation (*) very much.

(*) https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/23316

I expect we can start to write type hints even in stdlibs, because it
doesn't require extra imports and overhead become very cheap.
Maybe, I am a minority. But I dislike any runtime overhead and extra
dependencies.

Regards,
--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>