On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 06:17:09PM +0100, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Hi Bernat,
>
> "stdlib_module_names" was my first idea but it looks too long, so I
> chose "module_names". But someone on Twitter and now you asked me why
> not "stdlib_module_names", so I wrote a PR to rename module_names to
> sys.stdlib_module_names:
> https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/24332
>
> At least "stdlib_module_names" better summarizes its definition: "A
> frozenset of strings containing the names of standard library
> modules".

Your first instinct that it is too long is correct. Just call it
"stdlib" or "stdlib_names". The fact that it is a frozen set of module
names will be obvious from just looking at it, and there is no need for
the name to explain everything about it. We have:

* `dir()`, not `sorted_dir_names()`;

* `sys.prefix`, not `sys.site_specific_directory_path_prefix`;

* `sys.audit`, not `sys.raise_audit_hook_event`;

* `sys.exit()`, not `sys.exit_python()`;

* `sys.float_info`, not `sys.float_prec_and_low_level_info`;

etc. Python has very good documentation and excellent introspection
capabilities. Names should act as a short reminder of the meaning, there
is no need to encode a full description into a long amd verbose name.

--
Steve