On 2/22/21, 4:06 PM, "Antoine Pitrou" <anto...@python.org> wrote:

    On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:50:43 +0000
    Rob Boehne <r...@datalogics.com> wrote:

    > The other thing that crept into this thread was the mention of test that
intermittently fail.
    > That's a huge problem because it suggests that applications will
sometimes fail.
    > I have usually seen these sort of issues because of
    >   1) Uninitialized memory being used (read)
    >   2) Threading problems
    >   3) Resources used (files, networking, daemons) but unavailable
    >   4) memory mis-management (buffer overrun that doesn't cause a crash)
    >
    > #3 is probably best fixed by testing for resources and skipping when
unavailable

    5) Poor quality POSIX support in the target platform.  The Python test
    suite is actually quite demanding in this regard (except on Windows).

    Regards

    Antoine.

Antoine:

I find this a bit of a surprise, can you give an example of poor POSIX support
leading to intermittent test failures?

Thanks,

Rob Boehne