On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 at 09:26, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is with the transition - we need to find a way to deal
> with existing `.pth` files, and with people using older version of
> tools (like setuptools and pipx) that write `.pth` files (so we can't
> assume, for example, that Python 3.12 will never see a .pth file using
> the old-style encoding).

Hmm, I just checked and pipx uses UTF-8 when writing .pth files. See
https://github.com/pipxproject/pipx/blob/master/src/pipx/venv.py#L176
(and lol, it was my mistake, I wrote that code -
https://github.com/pipxproject/pipx/pull/168). I'm inclined to report
that as a bug, even though it appears no-one has complained about it.
But that seems counter-productive given the context here.

Paul