On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 2:35 PM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> However I'm still skeptical about the two-argument version of aiter() (see
> my previous message about this). Do you have any indication that a use case
> for that exists?

In my experience this isn't a popular feature. Now that I looked into the
docs, I *think* I remember using it once myself. Generally if I need this
functionality I'd just write a simple generator. Not that this is a
definitive indicator of the popularity of this thing; I'm just sharing my
experience.

That said I wouldn't mind aiter() supporting the two-arguments mode as it
could make it easier to convert some sync code bases (that use greenlets,
for example) to async. And given that async iteration mirrors the sync
iteration protocol pretty closely, I think that aiter() fully mirroring
iter() is expected. I do realize that my arguments here are weak, so my
vote is +0 to support the two-arguments mode.

Yury