Antoine Pitrou writes:

 > On Sun, 04 Apr 2021 00:34:18 -0000
 > "Brandt Bucher" <brandtbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:

 > > Can you please stop putting scare quotes

 > I'm not a native English speaker, but I don't understand how
 > putting quotes around a reasonably polite expression devalues
 > anyone's work.

"Scare quotes" refers to an idiom English writers use to deprecate
something.

In what I wrote just above, the quotation marks indicate a focus on
the *string* "scare quotes".  In this case, the fact that they are the
exact words of Brandt, and also that I'm defining those words, not
using their meaning.

In Mark's phrase '"reference" implementation', neither of those usages
apply.  It's possible that they are the deprecated "random quote
emphasis" usage.  Random quote emphasis is implausible here, however.
I can see no reason why Mark would emphasize the modifier "reference"
in this context.

One of the most important remaining usages, and one that I find
plausible in context, is scare quotes.  These are quotation marks used
to focus on the phrase in quotes, and indicate that it is somehow
suspicious: inaccurate, imprecise, false, even the opposite of its
dictionary meaning.

In other words, if you don't have a reason to emphasize focus on the
words themselves rather than their meaning, by adding (scare) quotes
most likely you are turning a "reasonably polite expression" into an
insult.

 > I'm probably missing something...

Probably so did a lot of native speakers; there are English dialects
where scare quotes are rare and random quote emphasis is common.

However, I assure you, many native speakers (along with a fair number
of non-natives) did not.

I neither know nor care what Mark's *intent* is.  I'm explaining what
(some) idiomatic speakers of English will read into what he writes,
because it is a *common* idiom (common enough to have a name, and be
mentioned in standard manuals of English style).

Regards,
Steve