Walter Dörwald wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>>> Sounds simple enough and we don't loose backwards compatibility.

>>> +1, but I'd like to have a replacement for this, i.e. a function that
>>> returns all info the registry has about an encoding:
>>>
>>> 1. Name
>>> 2. Encoder function
>>> 3. Decoder function
>>> 4. Stateful encoder factory
>>> 5. Stateful decoder factory
>>> 6. Stream writer factory
>>> 7. Stream reader factory
>>>
>>> and if this is an object with attributes, we won't have any problems if we
>>> extend it in the future.
>> Shouldn't be a problem: just expose the registry dictionary
>> via the _codecs module.
>>
>> The rest can then be done in a Python function defined in
>> codecs.py using a CodecInfo class.
>
> This would require the Python code to call codecs.lookup() and then look into
> the codecs dictionary (normalizing the encoding
> name again). Maybe we should make a version of __PyCodec_Lookup() that allows
> 4- and 6-tuples available to Python and use that?
> The official PyCodec_Lookup() would then have to downgrade the 6-tuples to
> 4-tuples.

Hmm, you're right: the dictionary may not have the requested codec
info yet (it's only used as cache) and only a call to _PyCodec_Lookup()
would fill it.

>>> BTW, if we change the API, can we fix the return value of the stateless
>>> functions? As the stateless function always
>>> encodes/decodes the complete string, returning the length of the string
>>> doesn't make sense.
>>> codecs.getencoder() and codecs.getdecoder() would have to continue to
>>> return the old variant of the functions, but
>>> codecs.getinfo("latin-1").encoder would be the new encoding function.
>> No: you can still write stateless encoders or decoders that do
>> not process the whole input string. Just because we don't have
>> any of those in Python, doesn't mean that they can't be written
>> and used. A stateless codec might want to leave the work
>> of buffering bytes at the end of the input data which cannot
>> be processed to the caller.
>
> But what would the call do with that info? It can't retry encoding/decoding
> the rejected input, because the state of the codec
> has been thrown away already.

This depends a lot on the nature of the codec. It may well be
possible to work on chunks of input data in a stateless way,
e.g. say you have a string of 4-byte hex values, then the decode
function would be able to work on 4 bytes each and let the caller
buffer any remaining bytes for the next call. There'd be no need for
keeping state in the decoder function.

>> It is also possible to write
>> stateful codecs on top of such stateless encoding and decoding
>> functions.
>
> That's what the codec helper functions from Python/_codecs.c are for.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> Anyway, I've started implementing a patch that just adds
> codecs.StatefulEncoder/codecs.StatefulDecoder. UTF8, UTF8-Sig, UTF-16,
> UTF-16-LE and UTF-16-BE are already working.

Nice :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 18 2006)