On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 9:49 AM Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > That said, I agree it is better that this came up before the feature freeze
> > than after the release. And I am willing to accept that the hypothetical
> > future where annotations are not always syntactically expressions (which
> > did not even exist before this week) is less important than backwards
> > compatibility.
>
> Would it be problematic to postpone making __future__.annotations the default?

__future__.annotation is the default since 2020-10-04.
https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/044a1048ca93d466965afc027b91a5a9eb9ce23c#diff-ebc983d9f91e5bcf73500e377ac65e85863c4f77fd5b6b6caf4fcdf7c0f0b057

After that, many changes are made on compiler and other places.
So reverting the change is not so simple.

And personally, I love static typing but I don't use type hint for
performance/memory usage reason.
I spend much effort to optimize PEP 563 to minimize type hinting overhead.
So it's very sad that if I can not use type hinting when I can drop
Python 3.9 support.

So if PEP 649 is accepted, I want to use it since Python 3.10.
Otherwise, I can not use type hinting even after I dropped Python 3.9
support.

But it is up to release manager and steering council.

--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>