On 2021-04-20 20:42, Ethan Furman wrote:
  > On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM Ethan Furman wrote:

  >> Moving forward, I'm not sure having format() and str() ever be different
  >> is a good idea, especially since users who need, for example, Color.RED
  >> to be '1' can simply add a `__str__ = int.__str__` to their own custom
  >> base IntEnum class and be good to go.  If we deprecate the current behavior
  >> now we could change it in 3.12.
  >>
  >> Thoughts?

  > So to be clear, that one user wants f"{Color.RED}" to return "1" and not
  > " Color.RED" (or  something like that). And you want f"{Color.RED}" and
  > str(Color.RED) to return the same value. Then together that means that
  > str(Color.RED) must also return "1".
  >
  > Did I get that right? And are you happy with that outcome?

Almost right. They should both return `Color.RED`.  Any users who want
something different will need to do some work on
their end:

      class MyIntEnum(IntEnum):
          def __format__ = int.__format__

      class Color(MyIntEnum):
          RED = 1

      format(Color.RED)
      # '1'

The deprecation period will give that user, and others like them, time to add
their own Enum base classes with the
`__format__` method they desire.

Couldn't the format accept 'd' if they want an int, i.e. f"{Color.RED:d}"?