Hi Terry,

On 13/05/2021 8:20 am, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 5/12/2021 1:40 PM, Mark Shannon wrote:

This is an informational PEP about a key part of our plan to improve CPython performance for 3.11 and beyond.

What is the purpose of this PEP?  It seems in part to be like a Standards Track PEP in that it proposes a new (revised) implementation idea for the CPython bycode interpreter.  Do you not intend this to not constitute approval of even the principle?

I will make it a standards PEP if anyone feels that would be better.
We can implement PEP 659 incrementally, without any large changes to the implementation or any to the language or API/ABI, so a standards PEP didn't seem necessary to us.

However, because it is a large change to the implementation, it seemed worth documenting and doing so in a clearly public fashion. Hence the informational PEP.

One of the issues in the new project gave formulas for the cost versus benefit calculations underlying specialization.  Depending on your purpose, it might be good to include them.  They certainly gave some clarity to me.

Which ones in particular? I can add something like them to the PEP.

Cheers,
Mark.