Hi,

Le 21/06/2021 à 13:48, Victor Stinner a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As a bug triager, it's very frustrating when I ask for more
> information about a bug, and I get no reply. Usually, such bug is
> closed as "out of date" (lack enough information to be debugged).

There seems to be an untold assumption that non-github-users are more
likely to not reply to their own bugs. Not sure why, I may lack context.

> The requirement for a GitHub account was well known when PEP 581 was
> accepted. The PEP was approved. It's now time to move on!

PEP 588 has been saying the exact opposite for 2 years (maybe they did
not really mean it, but that's what's written).

> [...]

> It's all about trade-offs. Don't under estimate the cost of operating
> our own bug tracker. System administration is not free.

Note, however, that requiring a github account for reporting bugs is a
whole different trade-off than requiring it for development. The second
makes python an unwelcoming project for privacy-conscious people, but I
understand that such is the price to pay for more efficient freeware
tools. And it's an already made choice anyway.

By contrast, requiring a github account for reporting bugs also makes
python an unwelcoming place for non-developers in general. Github is a
developers' social network, "mere" users are much less likely to want to
be part of it. Many will just silently abandon their bug report.

Cheers,
Baptiste