On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 10:06 AM Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

> On 7/1/2021 7:39 PM, esmeraldagar...@byom.de wrote:
> > "Merging something is also a responsibility to whoever does it" - And it's
> > also a responsibility to fix bugs, no? I don't get why you're so afraid of
> > (maybe!) introducing a new bug when there already (certainly!) is a bug.
>
> Because the new bug you introduce might be much, much worse than the bug
> you're fixing.

It's worth noting that, in the (rare) cases where there clearly is no
downside to fixing a bug... it just gets fixed. You won't see those
kinds of issues in Stack Overflow answers, because they're not there
any more. Calling the review process flawed on the basis of the issues
still open after X years is as incomplete a picture as saying that all
music from the 18th century is awesome on the basis of the music
that's still being played today. *By definition*, you're only seeing
the hairy issues, the ones where it's far from clear what the correct
action is (merge, modify, or do nothing).

If you want a rough idea of the things that get fixed quietly, browse
the What's New for a point release, for example:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-394/

ChrisA