On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:40 AM Steve Dower <steve.do...@python.org> wrote:

> On 9/27/2021 5:51 PM, Eric Snow wrote:
> > Possible solutions:
> >
> > 1. always default to "on" (the annoyance for contributors isn't big
> enough?)
> > 2. default to "on" if it's a PGO build (and "off" otherwise)
>
> Just to air my concerns regarding option 2 (which I've already spoken to
> Eric about): I feel this option is completely orthogonal to whether PGO
> is used or not, and ought to be discoverable independently.
>
> Essentially, it should be its own configure-time option, and should be
> included somewhere in sysconfig.get_config_var(...).
>
> If we went with #2, there's no reliable way to detect whether
> profile-guided optimisations were used on all CPython builds, which
> means there'd be no reliable way to detect whether frozen modules are
> going to be enabled by default or not. Adding a separate option handles
> this case.
>
> (My overall preference is for #3, FWIW)

When I proposed #2, I used "PGO" as a proxy for "best optimization mode".
On UNIX, this is `./configure --enable-optimizations`, which doesn't
mention PGO -- IIUC it turns on PGO and LTO, if they're available.

So my *actual* proposal (call it #2') is to use a separate compile-time
flag, which is set by `./configure --enable-optimizations` regardless of
whether PGO/LTO are possible, and which on Windows can be set by
`PCbuild\build.bat --pgo` (we could add another flag to disable it, but
who'd want to?).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*