On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 6:38 AM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks to the SC for such a thoughtful note. I really like where this is
> going.
>
> One thought.
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 6:21 AM Thomas Wouters <tho...@python.org> wrote:
>>
>> Is the performance of PEP 649 and PEP 563 similar enough that we can
>> outright discount it as a concern? Does anyone actually care about the
>> overhead of type annotations anymore? Are there other options to alleviate
>> this potential issue (like a process-wide switch to turn off annotations)?
>
> Annotations are used at runtime by at least one std lib module: dataclasses,
> and who knows how many third party libs. So that may not be practical.

This is similar to docstring. Some tools using docstring (e.g. docopt)
prevent using -OO option.
Although some library (e.g. SQLAlchemy) has huge docstring, we can not
use -OO if a time set of module depends on docstring or assertion.

So I think we need some mechanizm to disable optimization like
dropping assertions, docstrings, and annotations per module.

--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>