On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 11:09 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 03:03:54AM +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 1:06 AM Petr Viktorin <encu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Let me know if it's clear in the newest version, with this note:

> > Huh. Is that level of generality actually still needed? Can Python
> > deprecate all but a small handful of encodings?
>
> To be clear, are you proposing to deprecate the encodings *completely*
> or just as the source code encoding?

Only source code encodings. Obviously we still need to be able to cope
with all manner of *data*, but Python source code shouldn't need to be
in bizarre, weird encodings.

(Honestly, I'd love to just require that Python source code be UTF-8,
but that would probably cause problems, so mandating that it be one of
a small set of encodings would be a safer option.)

> Personally, I think that using obscure encodings as the source encoding
> is one of those "linters and code reviews should check it" issues.
>
> Besides, now that I've learned about this unicode_escape encoding, I
> think that's going to be *awesome* for winning obfuscated Python
> competitions! *wink*

TBH, I'm not entirely sure how valid it is to talk about *security*
considerations when we're dealing with Python source code and variable
confusions, but that's a term that is well understood.

But to the extent that it is a security concern, it's not one that
linters can really cope with. I'm not sure how a linter would stop
someone from publishing code on PyPI that causes confusion by its
character encoding, for instance.

ChrisA