On 11/9/21 3:24 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 11/9/2021 1:52 PM, Sebastian Rittau wrote:
Am 09.11.21 um 19:26 schrieb Terry Reedy:
The signature of Sebastian's function with honest parameter names is foo(x_or_y, required_y=_NotGiven, /).  It is the 2nd argument, not the first, that is optional, as with range.  If required_y is not given, than x_or_y must be y, and x is given a default that is not part of the signature because it is explicitly bound when called. If required_y *is* given, then x_or_y can be x.

Just to clarify: This proposal works differently than how range() works. foo(3) would be illegal as the required second parameter ("y") is missing.

No it is not.  If there is one required positional parameter and one supplies one positional argument, then that argument must be bound to that parameter name.

This can be solved by either supplying both "x" and "y", e.g. foo(None, 3), or by using a named parameter for "y": foo(y=3).

You are asking that 'x' be required if 'y' is passed by position but not if 'y' is passed by name.  This is contradictory.

Note that range does not allow passing by keyword and I specified the same for foo.  If you make 'y' keyword only, then there is no problem making 'x' optional.

the honest names are foo(x=None, y) in my proposal.

No, because you want 'x' is required or not depending on how 'y' is passed.

One big issue with that method is there are surprise traps.

Given that definition, and a example function defined as:

def fun(x=None, y):

then if in future we want to add a default to y, we can't as it would be a silent breaking change for a call like fun(2).

Now, if that call needed to be fun(y=2) then we avoided that break.

By first feeling is that the problems caused by skipping optional positional parameters is enough to not make it worth it.

There is also that fact that if we initially require the y only call to need to be a keyword parameter, but still be required and could be positional if both are provided, we could later allow it to be positional if that seems REALLY important to do, but it is much harder to take back a syntax that has been given.

--
Richard Damon