On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 11:58 AM Sebastian Rittau <srit...@rittau.biz> wrote:

> Am 18.01.22 um 22:57 schrieb Victor Stinner:
> > At the end of my first email, I also suggest thinking about
> > incompatible changes differently, try to make affected projects
> > compatible in advance. The problem are not the changes themselves, but
> > how they are introduced in Python, and more globally how they are
> > introduced "in the Python ecosystem" (!).
> >
> I believe that some (semi-) automated way to actively test and notify
> important projects of deprecations/removals before a release would be a
> great addition to the Python ecosystem. This is a complicated issue, but
> well worth it. (I'm not volunteering. :) )

In practice, it is the work that we are doing on Fedora, but for
changes already merged in Python.

Once, I wrote a small project https://github.com/vstinner/pythonci to
test a few projects on a modified Python (with a patch applied), but
it's really hard to automate the creation of the environment to test a
project.

It's hard to download and install dependencies in a reproducible way,
especially for "non-Python" dependencies (Linux packages).

Fedora already has recipes for that: RPM packages with "build
dependencies", commands to download the code, apply patches if needed,
run the test suite, etc.

With my project, quickly, I had to patch pip, setuptools, etc. For
example, to fix ResourceWarning or a DeprecationWarning (remember
collections.MutableMapping removal? html5lib has to be patched
manually, the vendored copy inside pip!). Maintaining patches on
multiple projects is not easy.

Well, if someone wants to help me on the pythonci project, you're
welcome ;-) I'm interested to investigate different approaches to have
simpler and more reliable "recipes".

Victor