On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 12:52 AM Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

> On 2/3/2022 12:15 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> >
> > IMO if PyObject* becomes a handle, the migration to the HPy API should
> > be much easier.
>
> It seems to me that moving PyObject* to be a handle leaves you in a
> place very similar to HPy. So why not just focus on making HPy suitable
> for developing C extensions, leave the existing C API alone, and
> eventually abandon the existing C API?

I tried to explain the reasons why HPy doesn't solve all problems in
the PEP 674:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0674/#the-c-api-is-here-is-stay-for-a-few-more-years

One problem is to provide a better C API to users: HPy is great for that!

Another problem is the inability to evolve Python because the C API
leaks implementation details: HPy doesn't solve this problem because
Python must continue supporting the C API for a few more years.

My approach is to (slowly) bend the C API towards HPy design/API to
ease the migration to HPy *and* (slowly) allow changing more Python
internals (without affecting the public C API).

Victor