Hi,

This is a follow-up RFC on PR #30520 (BPO 46337) with regard to urllib's
potentially inflexible scheme-based URL manipulation. In my ticket, I
proposed supplementing the hard-coded uses_* scheme lists that control
URL parsing and joining behavior with an optional enum set that may
override behavior when calling a function that would require it. (More
detail is in that BPO and code is obviously in that PR.)

It's been about a month since I wrote that PR, and it was marked stale a
day or two ago. Would anyone be willing to give it a look for feedback
and a potential merge?

As a side note, I was recently made aware of the bit of an existential
crisis wrt urllib. Without addressing it directly, I would like to say
that my PR is small, backwards compatible, and focused exclusively on
URL parsing, which (at least in my reading of the relevant thread) is
still considered to be useful if a bit fragile. I wouldn't consider my
PR to be in conflict with any ongoing scope reconsideration (though
deprecation is, of course, another matter entirely).

Thanks for any feedback and review!

--
Lincoln Auster
They/Them