On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 8:58 AM Ronald Oussoren <ronaldousso...@mac.com>
wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2022, at 00:34, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 11:52 AM Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 11:29 AM Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To be honest, I feel like I'm just reiterating stuff I've said before
>>> here, and I think the same is true of the points I'm responding to

>>>  (I'm not *against* going over the debate again,
>>> it helps make sure people haven't changed their minds, but it's
>>> important to be clear that none of the practical facts have changed,
>>> if that is the case).
>>>

>> Maybe there's a way to make this discussion (it feels more like a
>> discussion than debate at the moment) more productive by writing some
>> things down. I'm not sure it's a PEP, but some kind of:
>>
>> "policy for the stdlib" document in which we could capture the primary
>> points of view, places where there's consensus, etc. would be helpful to
>> keep us retreading this over and over again.
>>
>> I suggest this without the bandwidth to actually shepherd the project,
>> but if someone wants to, I think it would be a great idea.
>>

> Once
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-committ...@python.org/thread/5EUZLT5PNA4HT42NGB5WVN5YWW5ASTT5/
>  is considered resolved, the next part of my "what *is* the stdlib" plan
> is to finally try to suss all of this out and more-or-less write a stdlib
> policy PEP so we stop talking about this. My guess it will be more of
> guidance about what we want the stdlib to be and thus guide what things
> belong in it. No ETA on that work since I also have four other big Python
> projects on the go right now whose work I am constantly alternating between.
>

> Having such a policy is a good thing and helps in evolving the stdlib, but
> I wonder if the lack of such a document is the real problem.   IMHO the
> main problem is that the CPython team is very small and therefore has
> little bandwidth for maintaining, let alone evolving, large parts of the
> stdlib.  In that it doesn’t help that some parts of the stdlib have APIs
> that make it hard to make modifications (such as distutils where
> effectively everything is part of the public API).  Shrinking the stdlib
> helps in the maintenance burden, but feels as a partial solution.

You're right that is the fundamental problem. But for me this somewhat
stems from the fact that we don't have a shared understanding of what the
stdlib *is*,  and so the stdlib is a bit unbounded in its size and scope.
That leads to a stdlib which is hard to maintain. It's just like dealing
with any scarce resource: you try to cut back on your overall use as best
as you can and then become more efficient with what you must still consume;
I personally think we don't have an answer to the "must consume" part of
that sentence that leads us to "cut back" to a size we can actually keep
maintained so we don't have 1.6K open PRs
<https://github.com/python/cpython/pulls>.

> That said, I have no ideas on how a better stdlib development  proces
> would look like, let alone on how to get there.

I did what I could when I helped get us over to GitHub and what Mariatta
helped bring to our workflow.