> Wouldn't it be more practical to bite the bullet and release b3
immediately with this fix?

I sympathize with the sentiment and I am sorry that this is not practical
but I am not fully convinced about the balance. Beta 3 is in one month and
spinning an entire release is a multi-hour process for at least 3 people. I
will discuss this with the release team but is unlikely. For testing at
fedora, you can temporarily patch beta2 and include this commit:

https://github.com/python/cpython/commit/b425d887aa51c8e7900b08cb8df457f450f6fbfd