I think it's a great idea! :) [1]

LLVM did the same recently (though they imported all previous messages from the
mailinglist, thus making them searchable in discourse) [2 - announcement; 3 -
retro], and by and large, I think it was a success.

One of the comments in the retro was:
> Searching the archives is much easier and have found me many old threads that
> I probably would have problem finding before since I haven’t been subscribed
> for that long.

I that it would be worth considering importing the mailing list into a separate
discourse category that's then archived, but at least searchable. This would
also lower the hurdle of new(er) contributors to investigate previous
discussion on a given topic.

[1]
https://discuss.python.org/t/what-i-miss-here-coming-from-users-rust-lang-org/13859/9
[2] https://blog.llvm.org/posts/2022-01-07-moving-to-discourse/