On 21Jul2022 15:42, Steven Barker <blckkn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>So last night I tried activating mailing list mode, and I'm not
>remotely
>satisfied with the experience so far. Where mailing lists are concerned,
>I'm *only *subscribed to python-dev. Not python-users, not -ideas, not
>-packaging (if that's still a thing). But Discourse's mailing list mode
>sends me messages for all of those things in such a volume that it drowns
>out any discussions on topics that would have shown up on python-dev (I
>think one PEP discussion message came in overnight, compared to 20+ posts
>on other tags). After the first two -users messages came in almost
>immediately, I tried telling discourse to mute the tags I don't care about,
>but it seems not to work at all. The page with the mailing list mode toggle
>warns that it overrides other email settings, so I think I just get
>everything regardless of other settings.

Aye. I jointed meta.discourse.org yesterday to submit a bug report about
the threading (which they acknowledge is a regession) and this morning I
turned off mailing list mode.

So:
- I still use mailing list mode for discuss.python.org; I'm abstractly
  interested in everything, and I have an aggressive email filtering
  system
- I'm not using email mode for meta.discourse.org; Gah!!!!

However: mailing list mode _is_ the firehose (minus muted topics and
categories - nb not tags).

With it off you can elect to receive messages as email for several
things:
- when you're sent a personal message (always/when away/never)
- when quoted, replied to, @ed or new activity in watched categories,
  tags, topics (always/when away/never)
- there's an option for an activity summary (I set it to "weekly" for
  meta.discourse.org)

So what you could do is watch the "Dev" category if you want the
equivalent of just python-dev.

I'm going to see how it plays out, but I expect that will let me get a
tightly limited email feed which I can treat like any other email list.

>If my only option is to be subscribed to a firehose of stuff I don't
>care about, I'm going to disable mailing list mode and if python-dev dies, I'll
>pretty much quit following Python's development.

As mentioned, mailing list mode seems to be the firehose. The other
"Emails" settings seem reasonably versatile to me on the face of it.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>