On 29/11/2022 00:51, Guido van Rossum wrote:
To stir up some more fire, I would personally be fine with sets having
the same ordering guarantees as dicts, *IF* it can be done without
performance degradations. So far nobody has come up with a way to ensure
that. "Sets weren't meant to be deterministic" sounds like a remnant of
the old philosophy, where we said the same about dicts -- until they
became deterministic without slowing down, and then everybody loved it.

Hi all, hi Guido,

Just as a data point, PyPy's sets have been using the same stable
ordering like dicts since our introduction of insertion ordered dicts.
We have a number of other set optimizations so it's not an
apple-to-apple comparison, but still.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich