[Raymond Hettinger]
> Part of the mechanics also involves getting the users set-up on their
> own machines.

Yes.

> For me, it was a complete PITA because of the
> Tortoise/Putty/Pageant/SSH2 dance and then trying to get Python to
> compile with the only compiler I had (MSVC++6).  The advantage of a
> separate sprint repository is that we can essentially leave it unsecured
> and make it easy for everyone to freely checkin / checkout and experiment.

This seems to be mixing up unrelated problems.  For example, the
repository in use has nothing to do with that Python became hard to
compile under MSVC 6, right?

For a new library module, sure, any repository will do for development
(& if it contains new C code, then compiler setup is required
regardless of repository).  If, OTOH, someone is looking to tweak
existing code in the Python core, then svn.python.org is "the obvious"
place to work from.

You may (unsure) have been a unique case wrt
Tortoise/Putty/Pageant/SSH2:  I expect most open-source programmers
working on Windows already have those installed (e.g., I did, and long
before Python required them).  Tortoise isn't necessary, but the PuTTY
tools are.  I expect (but don't know) that learning how to use SVN (or
SVK) correctly would be a bigger setup cost for those who haven't
already used them.

Signing a PSF contrib form and getting an SSH2 key installed for
svn.python.org are definitely hassles.  OTOH, new code can't ever get
into Python without signing that form, and collecting forms at a
sprint is a lot easier for most people than hassling with snail mail
or faxing.

So I'd like to collect forms at the sprint regardless of which
repository is in use.

> For the Iceland sprint and bug days, we need a procedure that is
> minimizes the time lost for getting everyone set.  For bug days, it is
> especially critical because a half-day lost may eat-up most of the time
> available for contributing.  For the Iceland sprint, it is important
> because this is just one of many set-up tasks (others include
> downloading and compiling psyco, pypy, etc).

I'm far less hopeful about easing the pain for bug days -- that's
overwhelmingly a repeated "one person generates a small patch, then
bugs someone else to review and commit" dance.  Sprints are more about
people actively collaborating, and across days.