On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 07:24 PM 6/11/2006 -0500, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> >I've added code to make uuid1() use uuid_generate_time() if available
> >and uuid4() use uuid_generate_random() if available.  These functions
> >are provided on Mac OS X (in libc) and on Linux (in libuuid).  Does
> >that work for you?
>
> Sure - but actually my main point was to have a uuid() call you could use
> to just get whatever the platform's preferred form of GUID is, without
> having to pick what *type* you want.

I'm reluctant to do that, because there's a privacy question here.
I think the person using the module should have control over whether
the UUID is going to leak the host ID or not (rather than leaving it
up to whatever the platform prefers or which call the implementor of
uuid.py happened to choose for a given platform).

> Perhaps that isn't feasible, or is a bad idea for some other reason, but my
> main point was to have a call that means "get me a good unique ID".  :)

Couldn't we just recommend uuid.uuid4() for that?

-- ?!ng