Hi David, hi Brett,

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 02:18:48AM +0100, David Hopwood wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the proposal is that any incompatible changes
> to the language would apply only in "sandboxed" interpreters. So there is
> no reason why support for these couldn't go into the main branch.

That's what I originally thought too, but Brett writes:

    Implementation Details
    ========================

    An important point to keep in mind when reading about the
    implementation details for the security model is that these are
    general changes and are not special to any type of interpreter,
    sandboxed or otherwise.  That means if a change to a built-in type is
    suggested and it does not involve a proxy, that change is meant
    Python-wide for *all* interpreters.

So that's why I'm starting to worry that Brett is proposing to change
the regular Python language too.  However, Brett, you also say somewhere
else that backward compatibility is not an issue.  So I'm a bit confused
actually...

Also, I hate to sound self-centered, but I should point out somewhere
that PyPy was started by people who no longer wanted to maintain a fork
of CPython, and preferred to work on building CPython-like variants
automatically.  Many of the security features you list would be quite
easier to implement and maintain in PyPy than CPython -- also from a
security perspective: it is easier to be sure that some protection is
complete, and remains complete over time, if it is systematically
generated instead of hand-patched in a dozen places.

A bientot,

Armin