Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 18:24, Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>>As this can't be considered a bugfix (that I can see), I'd be against it
>>>being checked into 2.5.
>>
>>Are you suggesting that Python's inability to correctly handle Unicode
>>path elements isn't a bug? Or simply that this inability isn't currently
>>described in a bug report on Sourceforge?
>
> I'm suggesting that adding the ability to handle unicode paths is a *new*
> *feature*.

That's certainly true.

> If people actually want to see 2.5 final ever released, they're going to have
> to accept that "oh, but just this _one_ _more_ _thing_" is not going to fly.
>
> We're _well_ past beta1, where new features should have been added. At this
> point, we have to cut another release candidate. This is far too much to add
> during the release candidate stage.

Right. I couldn't argue for putting this in to 2.5 - it would certainly
represent unwarranted feature creep at the rc2 stage.

>>I agree it's a relatively large patch for a release candidate but if
>>prudence suggests deferring it, it should be a *definite* for 2.5.1 and
>>subsequent releases.
>

> Possibly. I remain unconvinced.

But it *is* a desirable, albeit new, feature, so I'm surprised that you
don't appear to perceive it as such for a downstream release.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119