On Thursday 12 October 2006 18:18, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Anthony Baxter wrote:
> > 16 releases in 12 months would just about make me go crazy.
>
> is there any way we could further automate or otherwise streamline or
> distribute the release process ?

It's already pretty heavily automated (see welease.py in the SVN sandbox).
The killer problem is pyramid (the system for the website).

Here's (roughly) a breakdown of the workload:

- Update the 10 or so files that need the date and version number (about 3m)
- Run welease.py, select the branch, enter the version number, press 4
buttons, one after the other. It complains and stops if something goes wrong.
(elapsed time about 5-10m, actual "work" time < 30s)
- Wait for the Mac/Win/Doc builders (elapsed, 6-12h, depending on timezones,
actual "work" time 0s)
- Sign binaries and put in place on website (maybe 2m work, plus 5-10m to scp
up to dinsdale)
- Update webpages (between 30m and an hour, depending on how much I have to
fight with pyramid. I still need to go update the old release pages putting
the warnings on them, so there's probably another hour of work today)

I've mentioned this on pydotorg enough times, I don't feel I can continue to
complain about it (because I can't offer the time to make it better) but
pyramid is *not* *good* from my point of view. The older system with
Makefiles, ht2html and rsync took maybe 1/4 to 1/3 as long.

> ideally, releasing (earlier release + well-defined patch set) should be
> fairly trivial, compared to releasing (new release from trunk).  what do
> we have to do to make it easier to handle that case?

Mostly it is easy for me, with the one huge caveat. As far as I know, the Mac
build is a single command to run for Ronald, and the Doc build similarly for
Fred. I don't know what Martin has to do for the Windows build.

--
Anthony Baxter     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>