OK - 2.4.4 is done. With that, the release24-maint branch moves into dignified
old age, where we get to mostly ignore it, yay! Unless you really feel like
it, I don't think there's much point to making the effort to backport fixes
to this branch. Any future releases from that branch will be of the serious
security flaw only variety, and are almost certainly only going to have those
critical patches applied.

Either this weekend or next week I'll cut a 2.3.6 off the release23-maint
branch. As previously discussed, this will be a source-only release - I don't
envisage making documentation packages or binaries for it. Although should we
maybe have new doc packages with the newer version number, just to prevent
confusion? Fred? What do you think? I don't think there's any need to do this
for 2.3.6c1, but maybe for 2.3.6 final? For 2.3.6, it's just 2.3.5 plus the
email fix and the PSF-2006-001 fix. As I feared, I've had a couple of people
asking for a 2.3.6. Oh well. Only one person has (jokingly) suggested a new
2.2 release. That ain't going to happen :-)

I don't even want to _think_ about 2.5.1 right now. I can't see us doing this
before December at the earliest, and preferably early in 2007. As far as I
can see so far, the generator+threads nasty that's popped up isn't going to
affect so many people that it needs a rushed out 2.5.1 to cover it - although
this may change as the problem and solution becomes better understood.

Anyway, all of the above is open to disagreement or other opinions - if you
have them, let me know.
--
Anthony Baxter     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>