Larry Hastings wrote:

> There is in fact a /very/ sane way to interpret "/" on Windows: the root
> directory of the "current" drive.

Whether that's sane or not is debatable -- it depends
entirely on what the application and/or user expect.
A Unix user is probably expecting "/foo" to be completely
unambiguous, and might be surprised if it gets turned
into a Windows path that's not.

In any case, there's no obvious meaning when going the other
way (i.e. translating "C:\" into a Unix path). So I think
it's reasonable to say that translation of absolute paths
is not supported in general.

University of Canterbury,          | Carpe post meridiem!                 |
Christchurch, New Zealand          | (I'm not a morning person.)          |