Nick> I don't know whether or not there is anything specific we can do
    Nick> to encourage that kind of coaching/mentoring activity, but I know
    Nick> it was a significant factor in my become more comfortable with
    Nick> making contributions.

    Martin> While there was no explicit management of a mentoring process, I
    Martin> think it so happened that committers always found a mentor.

Could the Summer of Code be used as a vehicle to match up current developers
with potentially new ones?  The svn sandbox (or a branch) could serve as a
place for developers to get their feet wet. Perhaps Raymond can comment on
whether he thinks that makes sense based upon his experience mentoring the
Decimal-in-C module.

Skip