At 11:53 AM 3/8/2007 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>That assumes there is a need for the old functionality. I really don't
>see it (pje claimed he needed it once, but I remain unconvinced, not
>having seen an actual fragment where the old behavior is helpful).

The code in question was a type association handler that looked up loader
functions based on file extension.  This was specifically convenient for
recognizing the difference between .htaccess files and other dotfiles that
might appear in a web directory tree -- e.g. .htpasswd.  The proposed
change of splitext() would break that determination, because .htpasswd and
.htaccess would both be considered files with empty extensions, and would
be handled by the "empty extension" handler.