"Phillip J. Eby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> The process of having warnings at least ensures that I can *discover*
> whether my programs depend on some behavior that has changed - rather
> than > having something that used to work and now doesn't.

I am not familiar with the warning system, but it seems plausible that one
could add to the end of .splitext (before it returns) an optional warning
something like

if not ext and base[0] == '.':
    warn("Before 2.6, this would have returned (%s,%s) instead of (%s,%s)"
% (ext, base, base, ext))

where base and ext have the obvious contents.  Is this what you want?

Terry Jan Reedy