At 01:47 AM 3/16/2007 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>I think it is a ludicrous comparison, not even in the same ballpark, that
>tends to discredit the valid points you have made.

Of course it's not in the same ballpark.  The point was to show how
ludicrous the *logic* is, by applying it to something that's more obviously
disagreeable.

The problem (as I see it) is that people who favor the change seem to be
trying to use the specifics of this case to justify it -- but my point is
that special cases aren't special enough to break the rules.

And, that the rules shouldn't be changed to "majority wins, if they think
it's 'obviously' a bug".

(Aside from all that, I also couldn't think of any milder examples of a
popular, yet controversial change at that particular moment.)