At 06:28 PM 3/19/2007 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby schrieb:
> > Actually, he asked first if we *want* him to make one, and my answer to
> > that is above: I don't think it's necessary.  Like Martin, I believe we
> are
> > within sight of a consensus.   And I think that's better for Python and
> > Python-Dev than dragging Guido into it.
>
>I apparently missed your specific alternative proposal (I assume it is
>not "revert" anymore?)

In general, I support the keyword argument approach, as in the patch you
referred to.

Specifically, however, I would prefer to see it without the warning and
future change, as I don't think it provides any real benefit.  Either way,
some people will have to use a keyword to get what they want, so making a
change seems unnecessary.

However, if we have to change something in a future version, I would
suggest we make that option a required argument, on EIBTI grounds.  That
way, in 2.6 you can simply make it explicit to be 3.x-compatible.  And, I
think the warning (if any) should be treated as any other 3.x warning.

But as I said, I gather that this aspect of the question is the main open
issue remaining to be resolved, since you've also expressed support for the
keyword approach, as have many others.