[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:
>     Brett> Martin beat me to my comment.  =) Python's needs should come
>     Brett> first, period.  If Georg wants to add math support, fine.  But
>     Brett> honestly I would rather he spend his time on Python-specific
>     Brett> stuff then get bogged down to support possible third parties.
>
> I think the people who have responded to my comment read too much into it.
> Nowhere do I think I asked Georg to write an equation typesetter to include
> in the Python documentation toolchain.  I asked that math capability be
> considered.

And that is reasonable, of course.

> I have no idea what tools he used to build his new
> documentation set.  I only briefly glanced at a couple of the output pages.
> I think what he has done is marvelous.  However, I don't think the door
> should be shut on equation display.  Is there a route to it based on the
> tools Georg is using?

In the end, it all depends on what kind of support basic reST can deliver.
IMO, you still get the best math output from LaTeX, but I don't really know
many other things.

That is also something I want to convey: I'm very fond of LaTeX, and use it
regularly for all my University work. For the Python docs, however, I can
see many advantages of the docutils approach.

> If not, then I think some accommodation should be
> made.  I'm being vague here on purpose because I'm unfamiliar with the
> available tools.  The one thing I do know is that LaTeX provides that today
> and by removing it from the toolchain you have removed a significant piece
> of functionality.

That's the point I see differently: for the Python core docs, it's not
significant, and my efforts are primarily limited to that area.

cheers,
Georg